Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Well well well...

So it would seem my rantings about Anonymous and 4chan have been garnering some unintended attention.

After my post regarding LulzSec last week, I was contacted by... how shall we say this... an old accomplice from back in my 4chan'ing days.
She was (and still is) a moderator at what is known as the "cesspool of the internet, the largest English language image board in the world (the 2nd largest of all image boards, 1st being the legendary 2channel).
She told me that my posts regarding my former internet hangout had not gone unnoticed by the roving eye of the body-Anon. I knew well what she meant (there are certain factions of Anonymous that make it their business to "police" the internet, and in particular, keep tabs on possible threats to their organization and interesting persons, and in my making mention of them, had raised a redflag).
Instead of warning me against any further actions, she instead asked if I would be interested in re-joining "the great work".

Even back in my more active days of 4chan'ing, I was merely a "lurker" (someone who just cruises the site, rarely contributing to any discussions). Once all the "invading" started happening, I was mildly amused at first... but got over it quickly.
I, like the majority of "oldfags", viewed the whole thing as being beneath us. We had more interesting things to do. Some had even more interesting things to do than others... namely, hacking.
While I was never directly involved in any of their activities, I knew many people who were, and knew of their exploits. They fancied themselves a real life Neo or Morpheus or Trinity, infiltrating places they weren't meant to, just for the hell of it.

Anyway, I told her I didn't have the skills required for anything they might be planning, but I might tag along for old times sake.

We shall see where this goes...

 

[edit]: Fear not, oh ye who know so little of the neither regions of the internet. There is no danger to those who do not impede the progress of the greater mob of Anonymous.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not so sure about the "no danger" caveat you've added. It seems to me that there is some danger for the random user whose login and password info are released to the world after LulSec or Anonymous grab and release such lists after their SQL injection hijinx.

    Sure, it's ultimately the user's responsibility to practice active password security procedures. But I fear that the recent releases of the password files will provide sour experiences for many and not gain much sympathy for those who conduct such exploits.

    Ultimately though, the contact you describe with such insiders is very intriguing. I'm sure there are many who would like to see how this unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, if it's one thing these guys don't care about, it's sympathy.

    While I don't agree with the "ideological" Anons ("We're just doing it to teach people a lesson"), I must admit, it is fun to watch the hijinx ensue ("Doin' it for the lulz.").
    More to come...

    ReplyDelete